Iran was aiming to miss out when it fired 22 missiles at US forces in Iraq on Wednesday night, Pentagon officials said, as there appeared to be no casualties in the missile strike.
According to Bloomberg, an American official said no American was killed in the shelling, leading the Pentagon to believe that the Iranian regime “intends to miss it.”
However, experts say that the type of Iranian missile used is known to be unreliable and that the system may have narrowly lost its targets in the crash.
It came after Boris Johnson said he was opposed to “any escalation of violence” in the Middle East, as he urged Iran not to repeat the missile attacks that hit US bases in Iraq overnight and called them to withdraw from the conflict.
The Prime Minister, who added that it did not appear to be in the UK in the aftermath of the bombing of Western forces, called on Iran to “take a quick exit”.
With the details of the retaliatory attacks, with 22 missiles fired, Secretary of State Dominic Raab said: “We are asking Iran not to repeat these deadly and destructive attacks and instead undertake immediate stabilization.”
The missile fired from Iran hit US targets last night, hitting two Iraqi airports with US troops and allies.
Iran launches missiles against bases in Ain al-Assad and Erbil in retaliation for the assassination of Gen Qassim Soleimani and Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis in Baghdad last week.
US occupation of Tehran in 1979
So far, there have been no reports of casualties, but it has been the most direct Iran attack since the US occupation of Tehran in 1979. The operation was named “Martyr Soleimani”.
In his tweet, Donald Trump said: “Everything is fine! Missiles fired from Iran at two military bases in Iraq. The damage assessment & damage is ongoing.
“We have the most powerful and equipped military force anywhere in the world, so far! We will talk tomorrow morning.”
With a sign that Tehran was looking to establish a path to a slowdown in tensions, Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said: “We do not want any revolt or war, but we will defend ourselves against any aggression”.
Iran’s top leader Ali Khamenei said the missiles had “hit him in the face” in Washington.
The head of state reiterated that the United States may ‘cut off Soleimani’s hand’ but Iran will respond with a ‘broken leg’ in the Middle East region. Iran missile attack
Iran’s Revolutionary Guards, a branch of Iran’s military leader at the top, the White House to “recall US troops” from the region.
Pentagon officials confirmed the attacks: “Around 5.30 pm (EST) on January 7, Iran presented more than a ballistic missile from the US military and allied forces in Iraq.
These missiles were fired from Iran and targeted at least two Iraqi military bases hosted by U.S. and allied forces in Al-Assad and Irbil.
You need to know so far
- Iran launches more than a dozen rockets at US bases in Iraq
- Al-Assad and Erbil bases targeted
- Trump tweets: “All is well!” and “So far, so good!”
- Price of oil leaps after attack
- The operation codenamed “Martyr Soleimani”
- No casualties reported
Defense spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said: “It is clear that these missiles were launched in Iran.”
He said the attacks “targeted at least two Iraqi military bases” and that the United States “is working to assess the casualties of war”. There are 5,000 US troops in Iraq. Iran missile attack
Iran’s ballistic missile limit
Mike Pompeo, secretary of state, and Mark Esper, defense secretary, rushed to the White House to give the president a brief report.
Raab said: “We condemn this attack on Iraqi military bases hosting the Alliance – including British forces -.
He added: “The war in the Middle East can only benefit Daesh and other terrorist groups.”
Know more in Hindi: GET MORE
Recommended to Read: Difference Between Hardwoods and Softwoods
Recommended to Read: What Are the Difference between Bluetooth and Wi-Fi